Later that week, I found my vintage kids sewing patterns and we picked out a pattern for a dress to make for her.
I used Simplicity pattern 2930 with some Heather Ross Underwater Sisters fabric from my stash. I bought this fabric before Olivia was born, to use in her nursery. I had some left over and had been waiting for the perfect time to use it.
I used some vintage buttons from my stash for the back.
Since kids grow so quickly and a lot of effort goes into sewing clothes, I wanted her to be able to wear this dress for more than one summer. I made it a little big in the waist but it ties in the back so the extra fabric gathers in the skirt when its tied. I also allowed a deep hem to let the skirt down as she gets taller.
I really loved this pattern and will probably sew another for her if she likes this one. I did not like the scallops....at all! The pattern instructs you to fold over a tiny edge of the scallop and somehow press it to get a perfect professional looking curved edge. Yeah, that wasn't happening. Instead of burning the hell out of my fingers and ripping the stitching out over and over, I cut out another piece just to fit the scallops, sewed them right side together, clipped the curves, turned out and pressed, then hand-stitched the scalloped edge to the dress front. It was time consuming but hand sewing is so relaxing and the finished results were well worth it.